Monday, September 26, 2011

Clean Eating Whole Wheat Banana Pecan Waffles

Makes 12-15 waffles
We LOVE waffles in our house. And I especially love them when all I need to do is pull them out of the freezer and pop them into the toaster. I'll make a big batch every few weeks and we'll eat them fresh for breakfast and then freeze the leftovers. Then every couple of days I can give my boys a nice hot breakfast without actually having to cook :) These are especially great for when we are rushing to get somewhere in the morning because they can be eaten mess-free in the car. Always a plus in my book!



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp wheat germ/ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk
  • 3/4 tsp almond extract 
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed

ONE: Preheat the waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, wheat germ/ground flax seeds, and pecans.

TWO: In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, almond extract, oil, and mashed bananas until well blended.

THREE: Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just blended.

FOUR: For each waffle, lightly mist the waffle iron with cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto each grid, spreading it out to mostly cover the grids. Close the iron and cook about 4 minutes or until lightly browned. (You may need to do more or less batter depending on your brand of waffle iron. You want to use just enough that the grids are covered with a thin layer. If you do too much, it will spill over and stick to the sides and pull the waffle apart into a big mess when you open it. Not that I speak from experience or anything....)

Freeze leftovers using the tray freeze method to feed your freezer stash. We reheat ours in the toaster oven but you could also use a toaster, microwave, or regular oven.

NUTRITION INFO: 

Per waffle - 120 Calories (45 Calories from Fat), 5g Fat, 0.5g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 99mg Sodium, 16g Total Carbohydrates, 1.5g Dietary Fiber, 4g Sugars, 3.4g Protein, 1% DV Vitamin A, 3% DV Vitamin C, 8% DV Calcium, 5% DV Iron
:)

6 comments:

  1. I reheat my waffles in the waffle iron sometimes also

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like a winner! I've been buying the Van's brand but these are healthier and cheaper! I can't wait to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that these were great! Made them today for the family after finding your blog...I just added some protein powder and at my hubby's request I swapped out the pecans for dark chocolate chips. I look forward to making them again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these with mini chocolate chips, they were yummy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were tasty, but stuck to the griddle. It may be necessary to oil the waffle iron before cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely! I have two waffle irons and both of them have to be lightly misted with cooking spray before each waffle but that was part of the waffle iron instructions so I didn't think to add it to the recipe instructions. I will change it now.

    ReplyDelete