Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Clean Eating Breakfast Cookies

Makes 12 cookies
Yes! You can have a cookie (maybe even two) for breakfast! This recipe is amazing. The cookies bake up so light and chewy and are surprisingly sweet considering there only made with a little honey. Next time I bake them, I want to try replacing the banana with pumpkin or using dates in place of the raisins.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup dry milk powder
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
ONE: Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir the mashed banana together with the peanut butter, honey and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, milk powder, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined. Stir in dried cranberries or raisins.

TWO: Using a scant 1/4 cup measure (an ice-cream scoop works well for this!), drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. With a thin metal or small plastic spatula (or just use the back of the ice cream scooper) dipped in water, flatten and spread each mound of dough into a 2 3/4 round, about 1/2 an inch thick.

THREE: Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

Posted by Barb!! :)

NUTRITION INFO:

Per cookie - 184 Calories (53 Calories from Fat), 6g Fat, 1mg Cholesterol, 52 mg Sodium, 28g Total Carbohydrates, 2g Dietary Fiber, 16g Sugars, 6g Protein, 0% DV Vitamin A, 4% DV Vitamin C, 6% DV Calcium, 5% DV Iron
:)

11 comments:

  1. Just made these using pumpkin instead of banana, and agave nectar instead of honey - came out great! Question - when you freeze them, do you zap them in the microwave or let them thaw out naturally? I'd probably eat them frozen (love the whole wheat pancakes frozen) but my husband wouldn't care for that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amber,
    If I remember to take them out the night before than they defrost in the fridge by the morning but you know I never remember :) so I just zap them for 30 seconds to a minute on 50% power.

    ~Briony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I found out today they actually thaw out super fast. I put one in my swim bag about 10 min before leaving for ISR, and when I went to eat it on the road, it was already soft. :) Another question, do they need to stay refrigerated? I keep pancakes and granola bars in the fridge, but I have these in the pantry. Didn't occur to me that they might need to be refrigerated. Of course, the way Casey is eating them, it may not matter - they won't have time to spoil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think refrigeration would make them last longer but isn't totally necessary. Isn't this seriously the best grab and go breakfast ever, though?!?! I think part of the appeal is that you really do feel like you're eating a cookie for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much pumpkin do you use? We're Gluten Free so I'll try these with a GF flour blend but Im excited to try a new recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever tried using liquid milk as a substitute for the dry milk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany, I haven't tried using liquid milk. If you try it let me know how it comes out. I think there's more protein in 1/4 cup of milk powder than in a 1/4 cup of milk, though, because it's concentrated. I'd maybe try evaporated skim milk before regular milk if you're trying to avoid the milk powder. If you try it let me know how it comes out :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious, do they turn out more crunchy like cookies or soft like muffins? I have yet to find a banana cookie recipe that is like a harder cookie (think chocolate chip cookies) rather than soft and chewey....though I might try them either way. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely softer like a muffin but in a good way. If you want a regular cookie texture, give the flourless almond butter cookies a try. Best. Cookie. Ever!
      ~Bri

      Delete
  9. These are DELICIOUS. They are heartier like a muffin top, but that's perfect for a filling, quick breakfast. I might or might not have added some dark chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these just the other day they are very good. I didn' t have the dry milk on hand so I substituted 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds which worked out well. I'm going to make these again using the dry milk. Thanks for the great recipe; I have three school age children and I'm always looking for healthy breakfast ideas.

    ReplyDelete