Monday, February 28, 2011

Clean Eating Honey Glazed Carrots

Makes 4 servings
I’m actually not a huge fan of carrots unless they are mixed into things. Shocking, I know, since we all know I LOVE vegetables. However, I am a huge fan of honey and ginger and so are my kids, so when I make these glazed carrots we all lick our plates clean. These are so ridiculously good that Matt and I secretly hope the boys don't want to finish all of theirs so that we can eat the leftovers, LOL. I never thought cooked carrots would become my favorite side dish of all time but these are seriously that delicious :)

Looks so simple yet tastes soooooo decadent :)
Ingredients:
  • 1 16-oz. bag of baby carrots, cleaned and trimmed (or 4 big carrots, peeled and cut into baby-carrot-sized pieces)
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1Tbsp lemon juice
  • Dash of salt
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
ONE: Place carrots and 2 Tbsp water in a microwave safe baking dish with lid (I use a small corningware dish with a glass lid). Microwave on high, 4 minutes. Stir and microwave on high an additional 3 minutes until carrots are fork tender but not mushy. (Alternatively you could steam them in one of those Ziploc Zip ‘n Steam Bags).

TWO: Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in honey, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly, until it has dissolved. Add the lemon juice, salt, and ginger and stir to combine.

THREE: Add the steamed carrots to the skillet and stir gently to coat. Increase the heat to medium and cook another 2 or 3 minutes until carrots are heated through.


Freeze leftovers using the medium/large portion method to feed your freezer stash.

NUTRITION INFO:

Per serving - 162 Calories (91 Calories from Fat), 10g Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 113mg Sodium, 18g Total Carbohydrates, 3g Dietary Fiber, 14g Sugars, 1g Protein, 309% DV Vitamin A, 7% DV Vitamin C, 4% DV Calcium, 6% DV Iron

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog as I was searching for a honey glazed carrot recipe. It looks like I'll be back when you start blogging again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to try this recipe; thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these for lunch next week! the rest will be in the freezer stash! thanks for a quick and easy recipe! -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i csn freeze the honey glazed carrots ??

    ReplyDelete